Pages

Monday 28 September 2020

23cm FM Receiver - Musings

 All the assemblies for a 23cm FM receiver are coming together i.e.


Once the 1296MHz signal is mixed down to a nominal 446MHz I still have not decided on my approach.

 I am leaning towards the last option, the RDA5807.

I have a number of Tait UHF Orca handheld boards which I could either use as donors for the necessary filters and IC's, or as a working IF strip. These boards probably have faults but after cutting to size I have enough boards to be able to get one working. With a bit of work I could also use the synthesizer to generate the approximate 400MHz signal needed to mix down to the 45MHz IF strip. But this all becomes a bigger project than I had contemplated and the risk is not so much technical as motivational. Will I ever get it finished?

The simplest, most expedient, lowest risk is to secure a working handheld inside the case and move forward. But that does not sit comfortably with me.

The left field final option is the RDA5807. While walking back and forth to the workshop it dawned on me that this single chip FM Receiver would be a real time saver if it worked. I have some experience with these and the risk relates to how well it will work with a narrow band FM signal. If I can get sufficient recovered audio with acceptable noise levels this will be the quickest, most expedient way forward. 

Time for some testing.

73's

Richard


No comments:

Post a Comment