Pages

Thursday 26 May 2022

Using 1210 Resistors as Thermal Bridges in 1W Transmitter

I mentioned in this post the concept of using surface mount resistors as thermal bridges. I've had a chance to explore this now and after various tests I'm completely satisfied this is a suitable way to heat-sink SOT-89 surface mount transistors in 1W HF amplifiers.

Balancing cost versus ease of installation  I settled on 4 pieces of 1MΩ 1210 resistors for each transistor. A 1MΩ resistor needs no further modification to isolate the collector voltage from ground. On an extended test the two parallel transistors had a  case temperature of around 130 degrees while dissipating a total of 3.4W and delivering 1W of RF to the dummy load.


 

I hope you find this tip useful.

73's

Richard

ps Please excuse the soldering. I'm using up some solder I would not recommend and and it's difficult to get a good joint without using too much.  That's compounded by it being too thick. 

My preferred solder is presently this one

My preferred flux is presently this one which I apply with a nylon type small paintbrush trimmed short to make the bristles a bit stiffer.

No comments:

Post a Comment