Pages

Thursday 10 November 2022

10W Class AB with Parallel transistors - Initial Success

Having drafted a board with parallel SOT89's I sent the files off to have it fabricated.Upon receipt of the boards I found many errors and it transpires I generated the gerbers from an early draft which had not been finished. 

Out came the tools to manually fix the board and I populated the first board as a proof of concept. I ran out of 1210 resistors which I have been using as thermal bridges so I finished the board with 1206 resistors instead.

In my last blog I stated:

Since 2 of these in parallel class A could easily deliver 1W continuously it is reasonable to expect that 10 of them, operated class AB in push-pull, could deliver 10W. 

On reflection it would be reasonable to assume 10 devices could deliver at least 5W. I quickly found I could achieve over 10W but with some distortion. I also quickly found the smoke can escape.

Here is the board mounted on standoff above a heatsink which has a 50Ω resistor mounted to it. All of the emitter ballast resistors had burnt out. 

Presumably one transistor got too hot, developed a collector to emitter short which burnt out one resistor. Now 9 transistors were carrying the load, another transistor failed and resistor burnt out. Now 8 transistors.....Apologies to anyone with "10 in the bed and the little one said, roll over, roll over" now running through their head.

I will have to modify a second board and try again.



73's

Richard

No comments:

Post a Comment