Pages

Monday 21 November 2022

10W Class AB with parallel transistors - Almost

Update: I've learned that the cause of my waveform distortion (sharkfin) is most likely the presence of harmonics.

Time for a second attempt. The board was mounted to a CPU heatsink, milled for clearance underneath as necessary. Cautiously I increased the drive. I found I could easily achieve over 10W from 2 - 20MHZ. The distortion on peaks is evident so further work is needed. 

By testing with a single tone I am being harsh on the amplifier.  A two-tone test signal delivering 10 Wpep would have 2.5W in each tone. At 4W with a single tone there is no obvious distortion. I must drag my two tone generator out of retirement.

However, this JBOT approach with parallel SOT89's has merit. The distortion reminds me of what I saw with the 1W class A experiments when the biasing wasn't quite right. Even with 80mA of standing current in each transistor the distortion at 10W was present.

It appears a cheap, stable and effective 10W HF amp can be realised with parallel SOT89's. The application of a two tone test signal is needed before this particular transistor model is condemned.

73's




 

No comments:

Post a Comment