Pages

Thursday 17 August 2023

Reflow Soldering with Ferrex Mini Gas Soldering Iron

The more I use this tool the happier I am with my purchase. Here is an example of reflow soldering a STM8S part which will naturally be running STM8eForth

Before soldering I bump some solder on the pads, shown below. Note pins 2 and 7 have an "Ear" of solder which I removed with my soldering iron tip before placing the IC.


With a small amount of flux smeared over the pads I place the IC and then use the Ferrex tool as a hot air pencil to reflow the solder. Result before removing flux below:

The part has reflowed nicely and just needs the flux cleaned off. Something to do when I finish the rest of the board.

Even though the proper hot air gun is within easy reach I often reach for the Ferrex tool. It is cordless, has in practice no air flow to blow parts around and is easy to wield. But the results are the same.


No comments:

Post a Comment