Pages

Friday 10 February 2017

Quadrature Networks for Phasing Transceivers - Measurement Matters

I previously blogged, here, how I used a Wheatstone Bridge to match resistors and was surprised by how easy it turned out to be. The reason for matching resistors was to build a quadrature network for audio phase shifting. You need sets of matched resistors to ensure the op amp gain of each stage is unity.

Today I was contemplating how complex does this network need to be. I fired up  Quadnet, from Tonne Software, and examined this issue. It turns out that if you are just going to accept that the best tolerance you can achieve is 1% then there is little point in using an 8th order filter. The monte carlo shows that the worst result for the 6th and 8th order filters is largely identical.


While 43db or so of sideband suoppression is a good starting point if you have the worst case outcome, the improvement with tighter tolerances is considerable. You might get closer to 55db of sideband suppression with a 6th order filter, or 77db with an 8th order filter.

I like the way this software allows you to measure a capacitor and then use that value to determine the required resistor values. With a bunch of measured capacitors you could tweak the placement of these and the resulting resistor values to get the best result.

More thought is needed before I decide on a course of action. However, it does illustrate the point that garbage in garbage out applies. Since I strive to get the best out of anything I do I will have to think about calibrating my digital LC meter now.

Regards
Richard VK6TT

No comments:

Post a Comment