Pages

Friday 3 July 2020

New Part - VHF Low Noise Amplifier MXDLN02C

So I was browsing for a high speed op amp and I came across this wrongly catalogued part at LCSC.COM. I am now testing it for a commercial project but it could have uses in ham projects.

But there are some caveats that go with a US$0.05 part:
  1. The datasheet could be better
  2. This is not a strong signal handling part
  3. No details exist on how best NF is obtained

The MXDLN02C is meant to be used as a pre-amp for FM broadcast receivers. The datasheet suggests the noise figure is under 1.5dB and gain is above 20dB from 50MHz to 150MHz with good stability. I wrote to Maxscend as part of the commercial project requesting the S parameters in a table format. The response suggests Maxscend will never be one of my preferred suppliers.

So, in Ham spirit because this is a really cheap part, I simply hooked up the input to the nanoVNA and measured S11. Now I don't claim the nanoVNA is the last word in measurement, or that my test board was perfect. But the results I got suggest Maxscend was way off the mark.

From the Datasheet (2.85V) :
From measurement (also 50-150MHz) (3.3V):
I'm not dwelling on the possible reasons why there is such a disparity. What is important that based on my measured S parameters matching networks were easily calculated in RFSiim99. So, a few minutes of tweaking and I had a return loss of -30dB on the input at 6m and about 20dB of gain.

A similar story on the output port.

Summary:

It's ridiculously cheap.
Useful for 6m and 2m in non-demanding front-ends, still has +13dB of gain at 70cm.
This is not a MMIC so matching to 50 ohms, while easy, will be required
Like a MMIC no biasing calculations needed
Stability concerns limit HF applications

I always advocate using what is in your junkbox. But if you had to buy a device for low level amplification at 6m or 2m then this is what I would suggest.

73's

No comments:

Post a Comment