Pages

Tuesday 12 October 2021

Voltage Regulation - Distributed or Lumped?

I'm getting tired of the semiconductor supply disruptions which manifests itself as price increases and supply shortages. Even humble voltage regulation is being impacted.

As an example of the voltage regulation quandary consider the synthesizer board in my present project, a HF SSB transceiver based on the Weaver method.  In the past I would have slapped a 7805 linear regulator on the chassis for heat-sinking and used wires to connect it to the PCB. But this project is being designed with modular PCB's sized 100mm x 33mm since this fits into a readily available extruded aluminium tube. So less wiring from the chassis to pcb's inside tubing is better.

An AD9850 based synthesizer with micro, mmic and switchable outputs draws some 150-180mA. Now I can use a 7805 type linear regulator in a TO-252 (DPak) package but I have run out and the replacement will cost around $1. It could have cost as little as $0.30 but the wholesaler is out of stock. 

However, I could use 3 separate regulators on the board and that would cost around $0.15-$0.20. But my choices are much wider and the heat to be dissipated is spread over 3 regulators. My parts bin probably means I wont have to buy any regulators, a good thing, if I go down the distributed path.

Will normal ever return? After 12 months of the supply disruptions I am starting to wonder.

73's

No comments:

Post a Comment