Pages

Friday 3 May 2024

Li Ion Pulse Charging - Initial Thoughts

No sooner than I believe I have everything nailed down with my Li Ion float charge experimenting and reference to pulse charging Li Ion Cells floats into my inbox. As an aside it seem every rechargeable battery I have ever touched has at some point been subject to pulse charging. My all time favourite was discharging really big capacitors into a NiCad battery. 

I can summarise what I read about this by stating:

  1. It seems to dramatically extend the life of cells,
  2. no-one has worked out what the optimum pulse charging regime is, and
  3. no "experts" have had time to form a misguided opinion.

Which all appears to make dabbling with pulse charging very interesting.

I have a collection of cells that were once rubbish and have now been tested for up to 450 days on a float charger. With diminished capacity have they been tested to the point of no return? Or can pulse charging help arrest the decline or even restore them to their former shabby state?

The project is definitely taking shape. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment